Monday, February 1, 2010

internships

So last Friday I had an interview at Temperley London, and I found out later that afternoon that I had gotten the internship! I was shopping at the mall at the time I found out and literally almost started to cry I was so happy. Not only was I ecstatic that I had gotten the position, it made me feel like when I wanted something I could actually accomplish it. It seems like things are starting to fall into place this semester.


On a much more somber note, Friday’s interview was overshadowed by the fact that our dear friend lost his mother earlier this week to cancer and her services were this weekend. On literally the two coldest days of the year, I drove into Manhattan to the wake on Friday night and the funeral Saturday morning. I had never driven in the city before and it was actually quite an exhilarating experience! I loved it.
Mrs. Bolin’s wake was lovely; surrounded by family and friends in an upscale funeral home on 81st and Madison. The funeral however was so incredibly sad—it’s so hard to see one of your good friends lose something so dear to them. It was only a matter of weeks ago that I was at another friend’s father’s funeral; he had also lost his battle with cancer. Everyone said their farewells to Patricia Bolin in a pretty little church on 89th and Madison, and afterward we went next door for the reception on the Bolin’s apartment building rooftop—which had an incredibly beautiful view of Manhattan. The reception quickly turned into a serious party; Mrs. Bolin’s iPod was blasting Queen and I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many Corona bottles in one corner in my life. I had the opportunity to get to know the Bolin family better and they are all as equally friendly and hilarious and full of life as their son. Mr. Bolin is one of the most generous and loving characters you can ever hope to meet. It is hard to see a family like the Bolins lose someone so special. My sincerest condolences go out to the Bolin family.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always amazed at how life comes in pairs like this. The sadness of loss and the gain of a fantastic new opportunity! But congrats on the internship, tell me more soon! <3

    ReplyDelete